Re: hardware question: scsi disk and SS10

Hello,

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 12:22:07 +0100
Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> > Or use an SCA-to-50pin adaptor and hope your drives are fine with
> > that. I've got two 70GB Seagate drives that are, and four others
> > that aren't so YMMV. The latter all work fine on plain, non-ultra,
> > wide SCSI though.
> does it fit inside the case? I found an awkward way to get the drive
> working only in the LEFT bay, not RIGHT (probably termination
> lengths), after removing from the 50-68 pin adapter the term
> resistors and terminating the external scsi connector directly. So
> quite "fragile" at the end, the case doesn't close and the ribbons
> are very tight. So at the end.. I think I'll try to find a 50-pin
> drive

I don't have an SS10 but I'm using a setup like that with an SGI Indy.

> I have seen that the SCA adapters look quite "big". But I have a pile
> of SCA drives of smaller sizes out of Ultras and Netras which would
> be "big" for my SS10.

Some are quite small, just a little PCB with an SCA connector on one
side and 50pin on the other, arranged in a way to make it more or less
line up with the drive.

> The nicest thing is what somebody called "G." pointed me to: a
> SCSI-50 to SATA 2.5 adapter: small... and laptop drives are easy to
> find, but the pricetag is hefty.

There are also 50pin SCSI to CompactFlash adaptors, you can find them
in stores catering to Amiga users and such. Last time I checked they
were between $60 and $100 ( depending on card types supported and such )
and usually fit into a 3.5" drive bay.

have fun
Michael