Re: hardware question: scsi disk and SS10

Hi,

thank you guys.

Mouse wrote:
I want to put a newer disk in my sparcstation 10, the one I had up to
now is a 4GB disk, 50pin, which are exceedingly rare to find.
Anybody has a SS10?
I've got at least a few 10s.
I love mine, it could use more than 128MB RAM, but the 75Mhz with 1MB cache are nice, the machine is also relatively quiet. I'd prefer not to use an external enclosure: another fan, more noise, more space, more consumption. I'd prefer one hard drive than two inside. I try to pack several machines together at home, to have several test platforms.

68pin wide disks are easier to find, actually I got a "new old
stock".  I have a 68-50pin SCSI adapter (and just to be sure I bought
one off ebay which is specified to have termination).
It might even actually have it!  (In view of the below, I'd guess it
probably does.)
I think that's the problem indeed, from what Hauke wrote. If the internal SS10 connectors have termination, this one is going to cause an additional problem. One should be "active", I'll check again. Active termination usually doesn't pose a problem if double-terminated, while of course resistors do. That's at least my past experience with Macs and lots of SCSI drives...
I'll try to open it.

Or off checking ebay.

- The disk is seen (probe-scsi and is bootable) if inside an external
enclosure
- The disk is seen (probe-scsi and is bootable) if put inside another
SparcStation, an older IPC
- The disk is not seen and can't be booted if connected to the
internal connectors of the SparcStation 10, I tried both connectors
Did you check that the cable is firmly seated at the motherboard end?
I just opened up a handy 10 and the cable was loose enough I could feel
it seat better upon pressing down on the connector, even though it
didn't look loose.
It is. If I attach an old 50-pin drive, it gets detected!

Are the two attachments equivalent? is tehre any preference in your experience? I think to remember that the right one (near floppy) is more lenient, reliable, the last time (years ago) when I replaced the original 400MB disk with the current one I want again to replace.
Perhaps the SS10 is trying to run it in "fast scsi or something"?
Possible, but in my (limited) experience, trouble there would lead it
to fall back to slower operation, not fail entirely.

Especially since you say it's "not seen" - IIRC device location always
operates at slow async speeds.
So it should be, you are right. Thus there is probably a lower-level communication problem with the drive. On the net there are reports where if the hard-disk is not properly formatted/partitioned probe-scsi will fail to detect it, but I think these are misleading.

Riccardo