Re: Making a partition bootable (SS10)

>>> I tried to copy "netbsd" and "boot" into the other partition and
>>> boot from it, but it doesn't work.
>> This should work _provided_ the partition containing them is all
>> within the first gig of the disk, and you (re)run installboot to set
>> the correct block numbers in the first-stage bootstrap, and you
>> either (a) build a kernel "config root on" your actual root
>> partition, (b) boot with -a so you can manually supply the root
>> device, or (c) set up an autoconfigured-as-root RAIDframe unit to
>> steal root away from what it would otherwise default to.
> (d) adjust OFW variables to point to the correct partition by
> default.

I can't see how that would help.  It just changes which partition in
the label becomes the boot partition; all the same issues still apply
to that partition, whichever one it is.

>> SPARC machines of the SS10 era - pretty much, anything before Sun
>> drank the PCI koolaid - have no use for MBR-style partitioning.
> As far as I know, no sparc based used MBR-style partitioning
> regardless of the bus in use.

I know nothing that disagrees with that - but I know almost nothing
about Suns after the switch to PCI; I was being careful to speak to
only that which I knew.  I should perhaps have been clearer.

					Mouse