Re: Making a partition bootable (SS10)

John Nemeth wrote:
On Nov 4,  1:09pm, Mouse wrote:
}
}>  I am performing a fresh install NetBSD 4 (*) [...] SS10 [...], I
}>  thought of making a small boot partition.
}
} Reasonable enough.  I routinely do that.
}
}>  I have thus a root partition and a small 20MB root partition which I
}>  put at the beginning of the disk.
}
} I assume at least one of those "root"s should be "boot".  That's what I
} do; for example, one of my machines has a mount table showing
}
} Filesystem  1024-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
} /dev/sd0d      33900347 29922214  2283115    92%    /
} /dev/sd0a         63471    14814    45483    24%    /kernels
} kernfs                1        1        0   100%    /kern
} procfs                4        4        0   100%    /proc
}
} /kernels holds boot, netbsd, and a handful of old versions of netbsd;
} the old versions are of no use in routine operation, but are very
} useful when I'm booting new kernels (which I do semi-regularly) which
} don't always work right.
}
}>  What is the "boot" file?  at first, I was about to mount my boot
}>  partition into /boot as used on linux, but that would have been a
}>  problem.
}
} /boot is the second-stage bootloader.
}
} [snip information about how a sparc boots]
}
}>  I tried to copy "netbsd" and "boot" into the other partition and boot
}>  from it, but it doesn't work.
}
} This should work _provided_ the partition containing them is all within
} the first gig of the disk, and you (re)run installboot to set the
} correct block numbers in the first-stage bootstrap, and you either (a)
} build a kernel "config root on" your actual root partition, (b) boot
} with -a so you can manually supply the root device, or (c) set up an
} autoconfigured-as-root RAIDframe unit to steal root away from what it
} would otherwise default to.

      (d) adjust OFW variables to point to the correct partition by
default.
Hmm... since for now I don't want to compile my own kernel. but use the standard generic MP kernel, I suppose my only options are (b) and (d) ?
Are there some readme or other docs to help me try that?
Given that my boot rom has a dying battery, (d) is inconvenient, I'll try soldering a new battery in though

}>  Fdisk writes the boot sectors on a "whole disk".
}
} Fdisk?  fdisk?  On NetBSD/sparc, I wouldn't expect there to even _be_
} an fdisk.  (My own NetBSD/sparc machines are at 1.4T, which is what I

      I would expect it to be there for manipulating disks that came
from a PC.  However, as noted, it should never be used on a disk
intended to be bootable by a sparc based machine.
Sorry to cause all this confusion. I intended to write disklabel, no fdisk was ever used. I just partitioned the disk using it as an external HD from within NetBSD 2 running on sparc. All that part is "fine" in any case, since I can do a "boot disk:d" and my machine will boot

Since I can boot up to the point where init fails my only problem seems to be that the kernel infers that / is in the same partition where the kernel is, when in fact it is not.

Riccardo