Re: sun4m cgfourteen sx wscons issues

Hi,

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 10:04:50 -0400
Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> I finally got around to hack up the Xorg driver:
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/sparc/suncg14_drv.so.1.gz
>
> Please give it a try.
>
> If it works properly please enable Xrender acceleration ( Option
> "XRender" "true" in the Device section ) and run x11perf -aaftext.
> I'm curious if there are any performance differences between r25 and
> r27 SX.

It does work indeed. x11perf -aaftext says the following:
without xrender:
Sync time adjustment is 1.7279 msecs.

  24000 reps @   0.2883 msec (  3470.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
  24000 reps @   0.2882 msec (  3470.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
  24000 reps @   0.3069 msec (  3260.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
  24000 reps @   0.2880 msec (  3470.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
  24000 reps @   0.2898 msec (  3450.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
 120000 trep @   0.2923 msec (  3420.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)

with xrender:
Sync time adjustment is 1.8104 msecs.

  48000 reps @   0.1042 msec (  9590.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
  48000 reps @   0.1043 msec (  9590.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
  48000 reps @   0.1132 msec (  8840.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
  48000 reps @   0.1043 msec (  9590.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
  48000 reps @   0.1063 msec (  9410.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)
 240000 trep @   0.1064 msec (  9390.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Courier
12)

That's with the non-smp kernel you compiled. The userland is NetBSD
6.99.26(except for the suncg14_drv.so.1). The video mode is r1280x1024x66. If
i'm reading that correctly, the improvement i'm seeing isn't quite as distinct
as the one you wrote about in your blog entry[1]. Maybe that's because of the
slower cpu, yet, during the test with xrender enabled, not all cpu time was
used.

Currently i'm building a smp kernel and as soon you commited the changes to the
suncg14 x11 driver, an up-to-date userland will follow. Ultimately i'll be on
the watch for a cheap hypersparc module. Maybe one of these factors will make a
difference in the benchmark.

Nevertheless, NetBSD is now perfectly useable on that machine for me. Thanks
for the work you spent on that.

- Victor

[1]: https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/sx_support_added