Re: sparc wscons behavior in -current and netbsd-6

Hello,

On Jun 23, 2012, at 6:39 PM, John D. Baker wrote:

Returning to this issue with more data.

On Sun, 6 May 2012, John Nemeth wrote:

On Aug 22, 12:26am, "John D. Baker" wrote:
    ^^^^^^
I think someone's clock is off.  My "sent" mailbox shows 6 May 2012.

Anyway...

Booting GENERIC with the stock "/etc/wscons.conf" elicits:

 wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Device not configured
 wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Device not configured
 wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Device not configured

on the console and:

 wsdisplay0: screen 4 added (std, sun emulation)

recorded in 'dmesg'.

While on screen 0, Stop-F2 through Stop-F4 do apparently nothing. Stop-F5
switches to a blank white screen with a grey cursor in the top-left
corner, presumedly screen 4. Again, Stop-F2 through Stop-F4 do apparently
nothing and Stop-F1 switches back to the terminal output on screen 0.

Just to see what would happen, I turned on the "screen 5" example in
"wscons.conf" and tried restarting wscons.  I got:

 wsconscfg: screen 4 is already configured

and the "not configured" message for all of the other screens, including
the one I just tried to enable.

Possible clue here:  Instead of screen 5 having a terminal emulation
defined on it, I made a duplicate of screen 4:

 #screen 0       -       vt100
 screen  1       -       vt100
 screen  2       -       vt100
 screen  3       -       vt100
 screen  4       -       -
 screen  5       -       -
 #screen 4       80x25bf vt100
# Note: You must uncomment the 'font ibm' line above to get a useful
 #       font for any 50 line screens.
 #screen 5       80x50   vt100

When I restarted wscons,

 wsdisplay0: screen 5 added (std, sun emulation)

Hmm, I'd suspect that the sparc GENERIC kernel is only built with Sun terminal emulation support.
Does it work if you s/vt100/sun in wscons.conf?

have fun
Michael