re: Sun IPX and PPS via serial port

> Printf out of the kernel not only goes in syslog, it comes out on the
> console ... with interrupts disabled while printing is in progress. This
> screws badly with time keeping - it's a very violent event (relatively
> speaking). Every time I see one (I've got a "stray interrupt" problem
> with the old SS5 thing I'm using), I see a .3 second delay in system
> time keeping which ntpd then has to correct.

i kind of want to fix this, and not for the reason you'd like :)

kernel console output is not handled like userland output.  it is
done with a polling method, and that is what locks out some of the
other interrupts during this time.

the reason i want to fix it is that it is one of the causes stray
interrupt messages for MP systems.

i have, unfortunately, no time frame for this some if someone else
would like to have a go at it please do!

.mrg.