Re: SS 5 freezes without warning with NetBSD 5.0.2

Bill Roman schrieb:
You might be running into the same issue I saw with 5.0 and 5.0.1 (I
haven't tried 5.0.2 yet, shame on me!).  The generic kernel had some
issues with scrolling the console.  If I did anything that scrolled more
than a few long lines, it would freeze the console (but everything else
was still running, I could ssh in for example).  Search the list
archives for "NetBSD 5.0 and SPARCstation 5 not a lucky combination",
last July or so, there's some discussion of the issue.

I built a new kernel with wscons enabled, and this bypassed the problem.
If you're interested, I'll send you the config file I used; besides
enabling wscons I disabled all the stuff that doesn't apply to SS5.

One of these days maybe I'll dig out a serial cable, wire my Ultra 10 to
the SS5 for debugging, and see if I can puzzle this out, if someone more
knowledgeable doesn't beat me to it.