' squalls, Stand to the last by him that falls, And answe

Cks a dead child, crying 'My son, my ltttle son.'" The Grenadier's Good-Bye

"When Lieutenant Murray fell, the only words he spoke were, 'Forward,
Grenadiers!'"---Press Telegram.

Here they
halted, here once more Hand from hand was rent; Here his voice above the roar
Rang, and on they went. Yonder out of sight they crossed, Yonder died the
cheers; One word lives where
all is lost--- "Forward, Grenadiers!" This
alone he asked of fame, This alone of pride; Still with this he faced the flame,
Answered Death, and died. Crest of battle sunward tossed, Song of the marching
years, This shall live though all be lost--- "Forward,
Grenadiers!" The Schoolfellow Our game was

his but yesteryear; We wished him back; we could not know The self-same hour we
missed him here He led
the line that broke the foe. Blood-red behind our
guarded posts Sank as of old and dying day; The battle ceased; the mingled hosts Weary and cheery
went their way: "To-morrow well may bring," we said, "As fair a fight, as clear a
sun." Dear lad, before the world
was sped, For evermore
thy goal was won. On Spion Kop Foremost of all on battle's fiery steep Here
VERTUE fell, and here he sleeps his sleep.* A fairer name

no Roman ever gave To stand sole monument on Valour's grave. * Major N. H.
Vertue, of the Buffs, Brigade-Major to General Woodgate, was buried where he
fell, on the edge of Spion Kop, in front of the British position. The School At
War All night before the brink of death In fitful sleep the army lay, For
through the dream that stilled their breath Too gauntly glared the coming
day. But we, within whose blood there leaps The fulness of a life as wide As
Avon's water where he sweeps Seaward at last with Severn's tide, We heard
beyond the desert night The murmur
of the fields we knew, And our swift souls with one delight Like homing
swallows Northward
flew

Windows bitmap