Re: Problems installing to SparcStation5

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 07:57:06PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> It's most likely the HD. It's not uncommon for a used HD which has
> been down for some time to fail to spin up. I've seen several, and
> the kernel messages you see looks familiar :)

Hold the disk while it should be spinning. Rotating it should show
all the giroscopic effects - if not it isn't going around.

Often it is possible to 'unstick' disks by holding the disk and roating
back and forth on the axis of the disks rotation.
ie using the moment of intertia of the rotating platters to break
the stuck bearings.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost