Re: NetBSD/sparc running on qemu

> with the fixes I commited yesterday to pkgsrc's qemu package, NetBSD/sparc
> 5.0.1 is running fine in qemu-system-sparc, with disk and network
> access. The speed is really good, probably faster than some of the sun4m
> we support. With the just-commited apc(4) driver enabled, host CPU useage is
> very low when the virtual machine is idle.

Oh, good news. We should update ports/emulator pages..

BTW, IIRC -current has some problem on qemu around TCX wscons driver.

> One oddity is that the clock and TOD in the virtual machine seems to run
> too slow by a factor of 2.
> A 'date; sleep 10; date' in the sparc virtual machine show 10s between
> the 2 dates commands, but it really took 20s to run.
> The same 'date; sleep 10; date' in a NetBSD/i386 qemu virtual machine
> also needs 20s to run (which looks like an issue with qemu in the
> first place) but the time of day printed by date is correct (there is
> a 20s difference between the 2 dates). Anyone have an idea what could
> cause this difference of behavior between NetBSD/i386 and
> NetBSD/sparc ? I guess i386 reads the TOD for each date command
> while sparc reads it only at boot ?

No, TOD clock is only read in inittodr(8) at boot on all port, I think.
The problem could happen if the frequency of timecounter source
(timer0 at obio0 on sun4m?) is not correct value.
---
Izumi Tsutsui