Re: NetBSD 5.0 and SPARCstation 5 not a lucky combination

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 00:13 -0400, Michael wrote:

> >> RASTERCONSOLE is what's set up in GENERIC for NetBSD/sparc 5.0.
> >
> > Oh, that makes it more interesting.  Then the console _is_ talking
> > directly to the framebuffer.
> >
> > _Lack of_ wscons is unlikely to cause problems, it seems to me.
>
> The acceleration code is slightly different.
>
> > wscons combined with RASTERCONSOLE, I don't know what that would do;
>
> It would #error out
>
> > I haven't looked at sparc wscons at all.  I wonder if the other
> > observed cases
> > were all using RASTERCONSOLE?  If it's on by default, quite likely so;
> > perhaps that's where the bug is.
>
> Probably, I dimly remember that the old rcons code draws at least the
> cursor and maybe all text by software and uses the blitter only for
> scrolling and rectangle fills.

Whew!  The last few days it's been too hot to even think about powering
up a SPARCstation in the house.

Now that it's cooled off a little, I've enabled ssh (to avoid console
problems) and built a kernel with wscons enabled (and a lot of stuff not
applicable to the SS5 disabled).  It seems to work just fine, no
problems with scrolling.

So, there's something different about what wscons and RASTERCONSOLE do
to a cg6.  That should at least give a clue... maybe I'll meditate on
the relevant source when it cools off again this evening.  But I bet
someone who knows more about this might have suggestions exactly where
to look, and where to find relevant information.