Re: hard disk for sun ultra 2

Hi,

> >i recently acquired a sun ultra 2,

> Used SCSI SCA (80-pin) drives show up on eBay.com all the time. You
> could buy two and mirror them with RAIDframe, just in case one dies.

Indeed.  I have a RAIDframe mirrored pair in my U1.  A couple of things to
look out for:

  a lot of the older drives will have a high-pitched whine from their
  bearings.  However, newer drives have fluid bearings and should be quieter
  (check the manufacturers' specifications for the disk you are considering).

  the U1 and U2 take old-style (pre-"spud" disk mounting brackets.  However,
  spud brackets will fit and these are usually available for a few $'s.

Thanks,

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/