From: "Greg Earle" <earle%isolar.DynDNS.ORG@localhost>
To: port-sparc%NetBSD.ORG@localhost
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:39:46 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Dead SS20 NetBSD machine

(Yes, I know this isn't a hardware forum.)

My NetBSD/SPARC 1.4.1 (yes, that's not a typo) machine, a faithful
SPARCserver 20 which has served yeoman duty for me as a front-end
SpamAssassin filtering system along with the occasional Web serving
use, appears to have bitten the dust suddenly.

I woke up to find the light stuck on (I use "options BLINK") and the
system unresponsive.  Usually a power-cycle gets it out of its torpor
but today was different - it turns on, the CD-ROM drive light blinks,
I hear the fans, but it doesn't even show POST in the console window.

Is it more likely to be the CPU module (it's got a HyperSPARC 125 MHz
CPU) or a dead motherboard?

I'll likely not resuscitate it, but it would be nice if I could at
least get it back on to do a final set of level 0's and then dispense
with it (I'd probably just give it to a Los Angeles-area person from
this list).

        - Greg