Re: NetBSD on SGI Indigo w/R3000

On 10/23/2017 12:04 AM, Steve Rumble wrote:
On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 02:59:52PM +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:

Can someone confirm that such a machine or a similar IP12 machine works or
worked with an official NetBSD kernel from a specific NetBSD version?

I'm not sure that anyone has used a release on IP12. In fact,
you're only the second person other than me who I know to have
tried NetBSD on this machine.

Wow! :D

That ancient 1.6 kernel you dug up won't work very well. At the
very least it had some significant bugs in the seeq ethernet
driver.

I see, so using the machine diskless with an NFS root might not work well anyhow, even if used with the matching userland.

It's possible that the release kernels are just too big and
are colliding with the prom's segments.

That's interesting, I didn't anticipate the considerable difference in size.

 I know that I ran into
this with an IP6 in the NetBSD-4 days. Back when I was fiddling
with IP12s I usually built small kernels just to cut down on
compile times, so perhaps I just got lucky.

I'll try building a smaller kernel from -current and mail it
to you to try out.

That would be great, thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Frank