Re: Is this SGI kit worth getting?

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Greg Matthews wrote:
Stephen Borrill wrote:
I've been offered an O2, an Octane and 3 Indys. The O2 is a no-brainer especially with the recent framebuffer changes. It'll be a worthwhile replacement for my Indigo2. However, I see the Octane is not supported and the Indys (while cute) aren't exactly the fastest machines.

might be worth checking if the indys have the (somewhat rare) 24 bit graphics card. If nothing else you could probably ebay any 24 bit card and possibly any SGI memory (hens teeth).

I know they don't have 24-bit graphics. I was a student in the Uni Dept I'm getting them from when they were first bought (back when I was vey young!).

But yes, accumulating RAM is always a good idea.

--
Stephen