Re: Some issue in dsm-g600 using netbsd 6.0 release

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 12:20:03 +0100
Felix Deichmann <m4j0rd0m0%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Further poking stge(4), my impression when looking at this driver
> (if_stge.c) is that it is not in the shape it could be. Also its
> manpage seems to be outdated.
> "ST1023 only works in promiscuous mode": Could this interfere/provoke
> the panic especially with dhclient?

The crash can be traced back to stge_intr(), so I would not exclude the
possibility that it is caused by bugs in stge(4), especially when other
configurations don't show any problem with dhclient or bpf.

But running the NIC in promiscuous mode alone should not be the problem.

> Apart from that, stge(4) was ported from NetBSD to FreeBSD some time
> ago, and during this process it seems that "several" bugs were fixed
> (including this promiscuous mode thing):
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-July/064366.html

I agree that it would be useful to port these changes back into NetBSD.
But it is a lot of work, which I would not do at the moment. Somebody who
is more used to network drivers could do it in less time.

--
Frank Wille