Re: DS-207 network failure

> Yes, PPCBoot seems to support TFTP booting.  However, mine sets its MAC
> address to 00:11:22:33:44:54 (and not the 00:11:32:01:95:49 that the chip
> has).  But, I can set this address on my DHCP/TFTP server and it works:
>

>  TFTP from server 192.168.13.100; our IP address is 192.168.13.118
>  Filename '/altboot_sk.bin'.
>  Load address: 0x100000
>  done
>  Bytes transferred = 76084 (12934 hex)
>
> But, this fails for me:
>
>  _MPC824X > go 100000 nfs:netbsd
>  ## Starting application at 0x00100000 ...
>
> Nothing more is printed.  If I use kermit to tranfer altboot.bin, then I
> can run altboot, but that fails to transmit any packets.  I have tried it
> with both a 1Gbps and a 100Mbps link.  It reports the correct link speed
> both times (1000Mbps-FDX or 100Mbps-FDX) but always "xmit failed".  No
> packets are transmitted on the wire either:

I never got the PPCBoot tftp boot to work myself, it just kept
retrying when transfering.
In any case, it clearly seems like we both have the same problem with
the SK network driver.
If you have any time to spare, download synologys sourcecode and look
at the SK98 driver they use for your model.
There has to be a difference between the altboot SK driver and
synologys SK98 driver that causes this.

The xmit failed message is written by the altboot SK driver, you can
see this in the sourcecode which isn't too long but not commented in
detail.

I have setup a machine for compiling altboot but I havn't had the time
yet to try any changes myself and it's hard to get into it when you
can't find any detailed datasheets anymore.

Still, it feels like our problem is just a minor obstacle so maybe we
can get this sorted out.