Re: Error messgae when netbooting - ex0: device timeout

On 02-Aug-2001 Allen Briggs wrote:
>> On my Sandpoint_X3 with Altimus (and thus MPC107 host/pci bridge) the serial
>> demultiplexer is not initialised by the DINK ROM on boot and thus no
>> interrupts come through to the CPU from the Sandpoint board.
>
> Ah.  I didn't realize that the X3 has serial interrupt capability.  I
> just pulled down the X3 manuals and see that Motorola added the SPF100
> interrupt controller.  I haven't poked around enough to see if they've
> exposed any of the configuration settings in such a way that they can
> be read.  It would be nice if we could test the value of the switch
> settings and adjust accordingly.  In the meantime, we might have to
> set up a configuration option that will allow you to make a compile-time
> choice to match your switch settings.

I don't think the SW2 settings are software readable anywhere (at least
I didn't find that until now, whatever that may be worth:-)

Compile time would be fine (or adding an option, one can change
via ddb on boot, if we ever get a boot loader that can pass the RB_KDB flag
to the kernel)

>> Naturally, this is a hack and should probably only be applied, if we are
>> sure to have a MPC107 in the system (I didn't check the differences between
>> MPC8240/106/107).
>
> The 8240 is essentially an MPC603e + MPC107.  Very minor differences.
> So your patch should work there, too.  I'll look at making this a
> compile-time option with the code from your patch.
>
>> With this, interrupts finally came through.....
>>
>> Anyhow, I can't get DMA to work properly.
>
> Hmm...  Just ISA DMA (i.e., floppy ;-), or are you having problems with
> DMA to/from the PCI bus as well?  I don't have a floppy attached to my
> system, so never bothered with it much at all, except to get it to
> compile and configure the driver.

Until now I only tried ISA DMA. Will try a SCSI card on the PCI bus later on....

And another question:
 if I put a 3COM905B into the sandpoint, then the kernel panics on boots because
 the PHY (exphy/ukphy) on the ex does not return any media information.....
 Has anyone encountered this?

Best regards....
        Stephan

=  Tel.: +49-681-302-5571          = Universitaet des Saarlandes =
=  Fax.: +49-681-302-3065          = Postfach 15 11 50           =
=  Compiler Research Group         = 66041 Saarbruecken          =
=  FR 6.2 - Informatik             = GERMANY                     =