Port-prep archive

Re: 7024-E30 Netboot

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 05:04:00 -0000 (UTC), T wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 20:33:29 -0500, Aaron B. wrote:
>
>> Trying again with the E30 I have: Replaced the network adapter with an
>> 8-Z having an FRU number per the previous thread; SMS sees it and
>> attempts to boot from it.
>>
>> Through packet capture, I can see (a) it acquiring an address via
>> BOOTP,
>> (b) it contacting the TFTP server, and (c) it correctly downloading the
>> file via TFTP.
>>
>> However it's just stuck on 'Starting software please wait' with no
>> further activity after that.
>>
>> I've tried the GENERIC kernel in the install directory; the kernel from
>> the prep sets, uncompressed; and /usr/mdec/boot from the prep base set.
>> All cause the same behavior.
>>
>> What's the correct file to use? A kernel, or is there a 2nd stage
>> bootstrap to send instead?
>
> I'm not sure about the E30, but I have to use the file sysinst_small.fs
> to get netboot working on my 7248-132 43p. If I try using the GENERIC
> kernel,
> it doesn't work. There seems to be a 2MiB size limit on what loads, if
> it's larger than that, it doesn't boot.

To add onto this, the 2MiB or less kernel is just needed to bootstrap the
bootloader, it can be stripped down, bare bones since it only needs to be
able to interact with boot devices. The TFTP should be sending what is a
boot disk image to the PReP machine, as found here:
https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.3/prep/installation/floppy/

I don't remember if 9.3 sysinst_small.fs works, if it doesn't, you could
probably use one from a previous version release (like 8.2) that generates
a smaller kernel size. I compile a stripped down kernel specifically for
use with the bootloader.

Once the boot image is loaded, it can then boot a normal GENERIC kernel
and as far as I have seen, there isn't a size limitation affecting the
second stage kernel.