Port-prep archive

Re: Xorg FYI

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 at 22:17, T <bobs%thelibertytree.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hi all,
> just an FYI about running Xorg, you'll need to use a custom kernel
> config because the standard ones lack the following line, which is
> required to run X:
>
> options         INSECURE        # needed for X to work

Quite a few ports default to "options INSECURE" enabled in GENERIC -
might it make sense to switch port-prep across?

> I was able to get the integrated IBM E15 display adapter working in
> 8-bit mode, 16-bit and 24-bit modes did start, but had weird color
> issues and small resolutions. Those modes are functionally unusable. The
> datasheet for the S3 Vision864 chip claims to support better color and
> resolutions, but the E15 implementation does not look to work with them
> and the IBM documentation only states support for the 8-bit resolutions.
> 1024x768 8-bit seems to work okay, which is the max resolution mentioned
> in the IBM documentation.

Maybe there is some additional chipset setup needed for those modes
which the system ROM just omits? You might want to ask macallan@ if
he's seen anything similar (I'm sure he won't mind me touting him on
this :-p) as he has a fair amount of experience in getting oddball
display chipsets running.

David