Re: AmigaOne X5000

Hello,

I am sorry about the delay. I need to get better at responding to emails.

On Mar 14, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Michael wrote:

Hello,

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:58:30 +0100
Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> wrote:

Al Zick wrote:

I think I may have found someone who would be willing to donate a
motherboard to a developer who can port NetBSD to it.

I have been offered boards in the past to port NetBSD onto it (also a Sam440
or 460, IIRC), but I never accept that, because it would always cause
pressure on me to work on it. I want to work on a port for fun, and stop
whenever I feel like it.

Nobody expects full time work or a 100% success rate. If you can't work
on it anymore, hand it over to someone who can. The alternative is not
getting things supported.
Also, if you get a new toy, you'll want to mess with it anyway ;)
At least that's my experience from accepting a few hardware donations.
I got them all working, eventually. In some cases it took a while,
since spare time isn't guaranteed and real life happens.

No one wants to put you under any pressure Frank, but many of us would love to see NetBSD running on the X5000.

So I am most interested in the new PPC notebook from ACube
Systems, [...]

I would really like to get one of these too. My G3 powerbook with
the G4 (550 MHz) upgrade is really showing its age.

Same with my PowerBook G3 Pismo (which I always used for travelling).

I've never been able to find a reasonably priced G4 upgrade for mine...

I don't know if he has them any more, but the company where I bought mine is now called Wedge (formerly Wegner Media).

Which kernel would
you suggest? Is there any hope of it booting, but only using one core?

You can always try. First you have to determine which kind of firmware the
system is running to boot kernels. Maybe some version of UBoot?

That would make things relatively easy - build uboot image, try to make
it talk to a serial port, proceed from there.

Yes, it does use uboot.

FreeBSD has support for it. However, without video and you need to netboot. What is interesting is that to create a uBoot image, you use the NetBSD mkubootimage.

Is it possible to port their code?

For a start, I would try an evbppc kernel supporting e500, like P2020 or
RB800. But I cannot give you a good advice here, because I never used
evbppc myself. I'm more used to sandpoint, ofppc and macppc...

If it's anything like evbmips it's a kitchen sink of all sorts of
oddball configs that are too obscure to have their own directory in
arch/

have fun
Michael

I always have fun!