Re: Where do PowerQuicc Drivers belong?

On 2010-06-22, at 04:16, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Matt Thomas
> <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 21, 2010, at 8:25 AM, Rafal Jaworowski wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about your long-term goals, but before making it 'powerquicc'
>>> consider that some of the integrated components found in the 85xx are also
>>> present in other Freescale parts like 83xx, 86xx, QorIQ etc. (the last two
>>> not necessarily being a PQ family). In particular, this includes TSEC,
>>> localbus, I2C controllers, crypto engine and so on.
>>
>> maybe just sys/dev/freescale just like we have sys/dev/marvell?
>
> History has proven that vendor names are more likely to change. :)

Yes, also it's not unusual for vendors to put similar / compatible peripheral
blocks into SOC's built around different CPU architectures, e.g. some of the
Freescale IP can be found both in their ARM and PowerPC based chips. For all
such reasons in FreeBSD we treat integrated device drivers as if they were
standalone (well, not always, but that's the direction I guess :-).

One other important aspect is to split a driver into a bus attachment routines
(typically rather thin) and a core driver proper (which is shared in all cases
regardless of the underlying physical connection to the CPU).

Rafal