Re: CPU specific Idle() function in locore_subr.S

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:04:34 -0800
Matt Thomas <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:

> My suggestion would be to add a member to cpu.h and call it
> indirectly.  I can do that code if you want.  It's only a few minutes
> to do. :)

I was looking at this again, and I see that the initial value of
ci_idlespin is "blr" which just returns afters the bctrl in Idle(). In
cpu_attach_common from cpu_subr.c this is overridden with the idlespin
routine that checks powersave is greater than zero before setting
MSR[POW]. Are there cases in which one would want to turn powersave off
for some periods but not others, in which case one would want an
idlespin routine installed? Otherwise, why not leave ci_idlespin as blr
when there will be no use (at all) of MSR[POW]?

thanks in advance,
tim