Re: How do I build a kernel?

 At the risk of looking dumb:
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/conf
        config GENERIC
has started reporting: > config: cannot read ../../../../arch/macppc/conf/Makefile.macppc: No such file or directory
   > *** Stop.

   (1.5.2 userland)

config(8) is tied to the kernel.  you probably want to build a new one
of those first...

Ah, yes:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel. I guess you mean:

# make CFLAGS=-g
cc -o config files.o gram.o hash.o main.o mkheaders.o mkioconf.o mkmakefile.o mkswap.o pack.o scan.o sem.o util.o
main.o: In function `main':
/usr/src/usr.sbin/config/main.c:113: undefined reference to `setprogname'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bash-2.04# man setprogname
man: no entry for setprogname in the manual.
bash-2.04#

I'll file a few CRs about this (without the CFLAGS=-g, the build died even earler - no decl for setprogname() ...).

My guess is that the setprogname() call should be wrapped in #if[n]def MAKE_BOOTSTRAP. I also suspect that the notes should tell you to specify ``make CFLAGS="-g -DMAKE_BOOTSTRAP"'' and that they should not be telling you to install the result :-)

Any way, I've now managed to config GENERIC, lets see if it builds.

thanks,
        Andrew