Port-playstation2 archive

Re: Possible to use the bundled toolchain?

On Fri, 10 May 2002, UCHIYAMA Yasushi wrote:

:  | Would it be possible to hand-assemble the needed EE instructions via
".word"
:  | directives, and use the standard "mipsel" toolchain to build the kernel?
:
: mipsEEel-netbsd-gcc fixes EE miss-prediction of branch targets for
: short-loop (less than equal 6 inst.). I would like to use
: mipsEEel-netbsd-gcc for kernel compile.

Is this just an optimization issue (slower code from mipsel compiler), or
does the standard mipsel compiler produce broken code (kernel panics)?

If only optimization, we should still use the standard mipsel compiler by
default.  This would allow us to cross-build the "normal"  way for 1.6, on
the bulk build machine.  If users want to use custom mipsEEel compiler to
make a custom kernel, that is OK, but it should be optional.

Is there anything else that would make the standard mipsel compiler not work
for playstation2 kernel compiles?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv%wasabisystems.com@localhost>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run
with it.