B50 boot options

Two of these machines have landed in my possession and I'm trying to
figure out the best hardware setup to make them usable. The current plan
is to add a PCI USB 2.0 card (with internal connectors) in the second PCI
system slot. Connected to that will be an internal USB-to-SATA adapter
with a 2.5 inch SATA enclosure (hosts M.2 SATA type SSD sticks).

For booting, the existing 1.44 floppy would be replaced with a GoTek
floppy emulator, ideally to use as the primary boot device since the
firmware likely wont be able to boot the USB connected SSD. I have a
similar setup for a PReP machine, but it uses a SCSI2SD hardware emulator
as the boot device. An UltraSCSI emulator doesn't seem like a viable
option, so the GoTek seems to be the best option, but I'm uncertain if the
ofppc machines can boot NetBSD from a floppy drive.

Has anyone successfully used the floppy drive as a way to boot to a USB
drive on a ofppc machine? On the PReP machine, building the primary boot
image required a custom stripped down kernel so it could boot (some sort
of 2MiB limitation), but in this case for a floppy image, it will need to
be even smaller I suspect.