Re: 7028-6E1 (pSeries 610) and how to burn cd

On 05-Jan-2012 ..I'd rather be coding ASM! wrote:
> RS64 is pretty different to Power especially where the MMU is concerned.
> The boot process is nothing like RS/6000 prep or chrp platforms, there's
> no SMS on my machines, no serial console .. IPL control is via
> push-button menu, about 3 mins into the boot I get output on the 5250
> terminal emulator which is embedded on a twin-ax conroller, attached to a
> virtual dial-up modem on the windows controller machine side

Ahhh.. ok.. yeah.. thats what I was afraid of. I knew the AS/400 machines were
different, but I kinda hoped in the back of my head IBM was lazy and just built
the same machines as the rs/6000 line and installed different software on them.
(like they do on IBM Virtual Tapes, for mainframes, they are actually bone
stock rs/6000's running a crazy version of AIX).  It sounds like they are
completely different internally.  That turns it into an entirely different ball
of wax.  I could give you hints on where to start, but I'm not familiar at all
with AS/400's, I've only seen them physically.  You would basically be starting
a whole new port of NetBSD.

As for the CPU itself, I'm aware they are a little bizzare, but in theory, they
should be pretty close to POWER3/POWER4.  I know AIX runs on them in 32-bit
mode, so they should support bridge mode like the P3 does.

If you think you are up for it.. I'd be glad to describe what the process would
be, and try to help you through it.  That all being said, it won't be easy.
Especially without some form of console.  Thats kinda...err..yeah..  No serial
port?  Really? (I mean, does it at least *have* one?)

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/