Re: ofwboot problems on ofppc

>executable we give it instead of init: e.g. :
>
>root device: ofdisk0c
>ofdisk0c
>dump device (default ofdisk0b):
>
>file system (default generic):
>
>root on ofdisk0c dumps on ofdisk0b
>root file system type: cd9660
>init path (default /sbin/init): /rescue/date
>/rescue/date
>init: trying /rescue/date
>panic: init died (signal 0, exit 0)
>Stopped in pid 1.1 (date) at    0x1c9684:       lwz     r0, r1, 0x14
>db>
>
>I suspect "init" could be passed bad arguments just because the kernel
>doesn't get them from ofwboot, and that's why I'm trying harder to
>make ofwboot work.

it might be arguments, but if you note the exit status of "init" (aka
date), it's 0.  that typically means it completed successfully.
perhaps you were expecting to see output, but you fail to realize one
of the things that makes init special.  init expects to be init and
opens /dev/console.  date doesn't do this, so any output from it is
lost.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior%daemon.org@localhost             * "ah!  i see you have the internet