Port-news68k archive

Re: rootfs goes full during installation of 5.0.1 on NWS-1460

2009/10/31 TOMARI Hisanobu <posco.grubb%gmail.com@localhost>:
>> If you can rebuild a kernel on other host, you can disable
>> SCSI DMA as mentioned in sys/arch/news68k/conf/GENERIC:
> I tried following config:
> Â Â Â Âsi0 Â Â at hb0 addr 0xe0cc0000 ipl 4 flags 0x20000
> and it did the trick! I partitioned the original 240MB disk on the machine
> then put NetBSD on it, all went really smoothly.
> However, when the firmware tries to load the bootloader, it seems to use
> DMA transfers, and therefore cannot boot. So I ended up creating a
> "Startup Floppy" containing bootloader and kernel.

So the NetBSD/news68k bootloader does not use DMA & works, but the
firmware does use DMA and does not :/

Hmm, theoretically it shouldn't be too difficult to have code on
attach read the first sector twice: once with DMA enabled and once
without, and then warn and disable DMA if they differ. I think there
are still some sun3 & mac68k machine/disk combinations where the DMA
hardware is not 'just broken',  which might benefit from that, though
I don't know if its really generally useful :)

[... very lean dmesg...]

excellent stuff! Whats next? Playing with X on it or maybe trying to
write the news rd remote disk netboot support? :) :) :)