install on nec mobilepro 780

Greetings,

I'm attempting to install netbsd9.1, port hpcmips to the NEC mobilepro 780, following the hpcmips install instructions. Although most of the steps seem straightforward, I'm being stymied by the size of the RAM disk (4Mb) created/used by sysinst. This fills up almost immediately with artifacts of the install process such as config files. The guide states that you need at least 7Mb free and I have 24Mb allocated to RAM in Windows CE as stated in the guide. If I manually delete some unnecessary things (like the alternative language error message files) I can get pretty far through the process but it still eventually fails with some background messages about the RAM disk being full. Any suggestions on how to change the size of the RAM disk? Is it possible there's a nuance I'm missing in using the hpc boot utility?