Re: Booting on a Powerbook6,8 (was Re: Installing 8.0 on a Powerbook6,8)

Hello,

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:53:44 -0800
Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:

> My Powerbook6,8 is still struggling.  But it's been easier to make
> progress with it since I managed to dig out an old Leopard install
> DVD sitting in a long-forgotten box so I can at least boot
> *something* on it to move files around.  Using a bone-stock 9.1 boot
> loader and a -current kernel, I've made some progress tracking the
> problem down:
>
> - Our ofwboot.elf seems to be fine, in that I was able to use it to
> boot an OpenBSD 6.8 kernel on this machine.  I suspect ofwboot.xcf
> would work just fine, too.
>
> - I have determined that we do make it into the kernel.  It's blowing
> up in ofw_machdep.c:mem_regions(), called from oea_batinit(), called
> from ofwoea_batinit(), called from ofwoea_initppc(), called from
> initppc().
>
> - Specifically, it blows up on the call to OF_finddevice("/memory").
> But this is after a successful call to OF_finddevice("/") and two
> successful calls to OF_getprop() (to get #address-cells and
> #size-cells).

That's ... strange. I dimly remember joerg putting in a workaround for
another semi-random OF_finddevice() blowing up on some machines.

> The /memory node does exist in OFW, and reflects two memory regions:
>
>     00000000 10000000
>     10000000 40000000
>
> (It has a 1GB PC2700 DIMM in addition to the built-in 256MB built-in.)

My 6,4 has exactly the same memory layout ( I sent you the ofctl -p
dump ) and Just Works(tm).
Is this with FIRMWORKSBUGS ?

have fun
Michael