Re: TiBook w/-current semi-comatose building boost-libs

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 13:30, John D. Baker <jdbaker%consolidated.net@localhost> wrote:

> After a long hiatus, I managed to excavate my last working PowerMac,
> a TiBook 667MHz system.  It's been updated to 9.99.73 as of sometime
> last week and I've been updating packages with 'pkg_rolling-replace'.
>
> In case it's relevant, it runs NetBSD as a diskless system (local disk
> still has MacOS X 10.4.11).
>
> All has been working very well--much more stable than I remember from
> my past experiences.
>
> Except, when it tries to build "devel/boost-libs".  It gets as far as:
>
> [...]
> Component configuration:
>
>     - atomic                   : building
>     - chrono                   : building
>     - container                : building
>     - context                  : building
>     - contract                 : building
>     - coroutine                : building
>     - date_time                : building
>     - exception                : building
>     - fiber                    : building
>     - filesystem               : building
>     - graph                    : building
>     - graph_parallel           : building
>     - headers                  : building
>     - iostreams                : building
>     - locale                   : building
>     - log                      : building
>     - math                     : building
>     - mpi                      : building
>     - nowide                   : building
>     - program_options          : building
>     - python                   : not building
>     - random                   : building
>     - regex                    : building
>     - serialization            : building
>     - stacktrace               : building
>     - system                   : building
>     - test                     : building
>     - thread                   : building
>     - timer                    : building
>     - type_erasure             : building
>     - wave                     : building
>
> ...patience...
> ...patience...
> ...patience...
> ...patience...
> ...patience...
> ...patience...
> [stuck]
>
> and there it sits, in perpetuity.  In past attempts there was no keyboard
> response but on this most recent one occasionally poking the spacebar
> followed by backspace seemed to indicate things were working (this is
> via an SSH session).
>
> I had started X on the laptop screen so the screenblanker would keep it
> dark.  At the point it gets stuck, no keyboard/trackpad activity will
> unblank the screen.  An attempt to initiate an additional SSH session
> hangs (it doesn't time out but it doesn't progress either).
>
> So far, the only way I can regain control is to reboot with Ctrl-Cmd-Power.
>
> Ideas?

Some random thoughts:
- Can you see if there is any interesting (nfs) traffic?
- Does ^T give any output (or ^C)
- Does it have plenty of swap configured
- How reproducible is it (maybe leave a separate ssh session running
top & unblanked console)