Re: The first reboot to hard drive after the CD-rom install failed

Hello,

On 2020-03-31 8:03 a.m., Michael wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 03:46:30 -0400
Mark Grieveson <mark.grieveson%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

Hello.  I used a CD-rom, created from NetBSD-9.0-macppc.iso, to install
NetBSD onto an iBook G4.  The iBook G4 accessed the CD via the Open
Firmware command, "boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc'' (as instructed
in the manual).  I only have WiFi, so I did not enable any network
connections.  I figured I could set up the WiFi later when I could
install proper drivers for the Broadcom firmware of the iBook G4.

Anyway, the install seemed to go well.  Everything was installed from
the CD-rom, which had the full sets on it.  It finished and I was told
by it to reboot to the OS now on the hard drive.  But, instead, it went
to the Open Firmware prompt of the iBook G4 (the little icon that
changes back and forth into a question mark). I'm not sure how to fix this.
You need to put the boot loader ( ofwboot.xcf ) somewhere where
OpenFirmware can find it, probably your OSX partition.
With that in place you can just boot hd:ofwboot.xcf <kernelname>

have fun
Michael

Hi Michael.  Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.  However, I'm not sure
how to do what you've suggested.  There is no other OS on the iBook G4
besides (presumably) NetBSD.  I searched for the file via running the
install disk and using the command line, and could not locate the file
"ofwboot.xcf".  Also, in spite of playing around with some Open Firmware
commands (via the chapter on "Open Firmware boot syntax" in the
installation manual), I still don't know how I would discover the
kernelname, or discover the names of different partitions, or discover
the location of the file ofwboot.xcf.  I looked at the devalias command,
which was sort of interesting but over my head.

For kicks I ran the following command:

0 > boot hd:ofwboot.xcf netbsd
MAC-PARTS:  can't find a default partition can't OPEN: hd.ofwboot.xcf
Can't open device or file
 ok

Anyway, all feedback is appreciated.

Mark