Re: Some G5 progress

Hello,

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 09:43:09 +0000
Michael-John Turner <mj%mjturner.net@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 12:58:18AM +0000, Michael wrote:
> >total memory = 2048 MB
>
> I assume that's because the CPU is in 32-bit mode (although I'd think it
> would see 4GiB in that case)?

Yes and no.
Yes, the CPU is in 32bit mode so we can only address 4GB. Someone(tm)
needs to write a ppc64 pmap.c at some point.
And no, because on all Power Macs the lower 4GB are divided into 2GB
for RAM and 2GB for PCI(e, -X, etc. ), other device registers, firmware
ROM etc., so all 32bit macs are limited to 2GB RAM. Most don't have
enough room for memory modules to get there though.

> Great work, BTW :)

Thanks!

have fun
Michael