Re: G5 powermacs

>> > Some things to try:
>> > - plug the monitor into the other port, see if that helps
>>
>> The video card in this machine has two outputs, both DVI.  The output
>> I have not been using does in fact not output a video signal either
>> while in OpenFirmware or after the other output goes all-black.  So
>> that suggestion didn't work.
>
> Did you plug something into the other port while powering up or after booting?

As I recall it, I re-plugged the screen I'm testing with into the
other port after OpenFirmware had initialized (and responded to
the shift+cmd+O+F keypress), as well as after I had booted NetBSD.
In both cases I got the "no video signal" behaviour.

> The SMU ( and most PMUs ) has a timer, if it isn't told that the OS is
> up <timeout> after powering up ( or attempting to boot ) it will assume
> we crashed and as a safety measure cramk up the fans.

Right, so it also depends on the OS periodically polling the
status.  It wasn't entirely clear to me whether there's a kernel
thread which takes the responsibility for polling, or whether
it's relegated to user-land (which isn't up at this point).

Regards,

- Håvard