Re: ofwboot.xcf problem (port-macppc/44895)

On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 11:43:48 -0400, David Riley wrote:

> >> No ideas for further debugging here, I'm afraid.
> >> Here you're the expert, not me...
> >>
> >> However, let me suggest that if we know a workaround to make a
> >> working ofwboot.xcf that we implement it for now, so that we get
> >> a working ofwboot.xcf out as part of a release, and avoid the
> >> embarrasment of having to point users to a NetBSD-5(?)-era
> >> ofwboot.xcf to get their newly installed machines to boot,
> >> ref. my recent experience where neither the 7.1 nor the 6.1
> >> ofwboot.xcf turned out to work to boot a newly installed system's
> >> GENERIC kernel from a hard drive (on a Mac Mini).
> >>
> >> Preferably the workaround should also go into -7 and -6...
> >
> > The workaround is already in -6 and -7 and it's called ofwboot.elf :)
>
> Not so helpful for those of us with Open Firmwares that can't load ELF. :-)
>
> If I get some round tuits soon, I'll take a gander; I have a pile of
> PPC machines of various flavors here (Old and New World, plus G5s),
> at least one of which should catch the problem.

Well, so far people has been complaining only about mac minis, iirc.
I had this problem with a mini.  jmmv@'s pr was for a mini.  Havard's
mail was about a mini.  And mini's OFW does grok ELF.

macallan@ says his macppc machines (all not minis) have no problems
with ofwboot.xcf

-uwe