experience with netbsd-7

I am new to netbsd/macppc.  I have previously run on i386, amd64, sparc,
sparc64, very slightly on evbarm, and sort of on evbppc.

I built a netbsd-7 macppc iso with build.sh (really BUILD-NetBSD, which
calls build.sh).  I tried it on a 2005ish iBook G4 (PowerBook 6,7, 1.42
GHz single core, 512MB ram, 60G disk, with a freshly nuked working 10.5
os x install).

My boot rom version is 4.9.3f0, says os x.

1) My first problem was the boot syntax.
I was boggled by the ,\ bit but then I read the faq.
I found that "dir cd:," was incredibly helpful. Probably INSTALL.txt
should tell people to do that and copy the file name, rather than giving
what usually works (or in addition).

What worked for me was

 boot cd:,OFWBOOT.XCF;1

but with a \ might have worked too.   I am pretty sure that with
netbsd.macppc afterwards it did not work.

It then proceeded to load the kernel, and the system came up.

2) My second problem is that the install disk offered to use the whole
disk, but apparently I need an HFS partition with ofwboot.xcf, and it
didn't set that up.  So my installation was apparently unbootable, but
maybe I'm doing something else wrong.  Do I really have to set up the
disk manually with that first, and then use the netbsd partition as an
install target?