Re: SMU support for PowerMac G5 11,2

On 04/15/2013 08:26 PM, David Brownlee wrote:
On 10 July 2013 13:06, Phileas Fogg <phileas-fogg%mail.ru@localhost> wrote:

Quastion:
----------
I'm not very familiar with envsys but is it possible to
make it control fan speed automatically depending on the current temperature
? Or is it better to control fan speed in the kernel space, like
Linux or FreeBSD kernels do it. I would appreciate any pointers here.
Currently i'm doing it with a shell script which runs periodically.
One odd thing i noticed is that if i set e.g. all fan speeds to 1500
but then do not read fan rpm back for a while, SMU automatically increases
all fan speeds. If i read fan rpms periodically then it remains
at the speed which i configured last. Very odd.

Could this be a watchdog like feature - so if the OS hangs and stops
reading the fan speeds it will automatically fail over to running them
at full speed? Sounds like quite a nice safely feature if it is....

Probably. I tested Linux and FreeBSD on the same machine and
if get a panic there or the system just lockups (which happens very
often on FreeBSD ;)) then the fans get very loud after some time.
The same behaviour can be seen on NetBSD now, so i guess it's a
hardware feature.

it's really useful i think. If my system hangs for some reason, then i can be sure it won't get damaged because of CPU overheating.

regards