Re: original iMac problems

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, John D. Baker wrote:

The kernel continues enumerating devices for some time after probing
atabus[01] at wdc[01], finally hanging after printing:

 scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle.

In prior threads, in kernels with working keyboard in userconf modes,
it was sufficient to issue "disable atabus" and the system wouldn't
hang.  With the kernel sources I'm testing (immediately post-
ppcoea-renovation merge), the keyboard doesn't work in userconf mode.
Therefore, only by excuding "wdc* at obio?" from my kernel config can
I get a kernel that doesn't hang.

In the latter case, anything providing the "ata?" pseudo-parent node
has been eliminated , so there's nothing to which the "atabus*"
(pseudo-?)child node can attach.

In the former case (as with kernels built from -current), the underlying
device with its pseudo-parent ata? node is still there, but with atabus*
disabled, it simply won't attach to the still-available pseudo-parent.

Before plastering printf()s everywhere, just trying to see if the above
behavior suggests files to concentrate on (obviously macppc/wdc_obio.c).