Re: snapper does not work on PowerBook5,6

Michael wrote:

>> The driver is using the "reg" property of "i2s@0", but it should use
>> the child's "i2s-a@10000" reg.
>
> OUCH. Thank you Apple for screwing us over once more.
>
>> I have found an OF dump from a MacMini in the archives, and there
>> both "reg"
>> properties were identical. So a solution could be to just use the
>> reg-property of the child (soundbus) for all models?
>>
>> Can somebody confirm that this is ok? Or would it break any other
>> model?
>
> On my iBook G4 the properties are not identical but i2s merely
> contains two more ranges than i2s-a, looks like two more sets of DBDMA
> registers.

Yes, that's exactly the same I saw for a MacMini! Using the first six
entries of this property should work in any case.

> To be safe we should probably check the reg property on i2s for bogus
> and use i2s-a if it is -

How do you want to check that? Maybe by checking whether reg[0] contains a
zero address?

> I bet there are models out there where always using i2s-a breaks stuff.

I haven't seen any yet.

And I checked some other implementations: The snapper driver of OpenBSD
always uses the first child of i2s (which is i2s-a). Linux explicitely
searches for i2s-a and uses it. FreeBSD probably does it right too, but I
failed to understand the source. ;)

So I'm quite confident that using i2s-a for all Snappers and Tumblers does
not break anything. What do you think?

--
Frank Wille