Re: Where's boot?

On "Sun, 24 Oct 2010 17:43:05 -0200",
Senjogahara <senjogahara%navscape.com@localhost> wrote:

>T. M. Pederson wrote:
>> Which tool are you using to initialize the partition map? And which
>> tools do you use to newfs the bootloader partition and write files to
>> it?
>I only used the pdisk. To use the "newfs", should not I have the
>created partitions?

Okay, pdisk only defines how big a partition is on the disk and what
filesystem it's supposed to be (just like disklabel, actually). To
actually make a partition usable, you need to create the filesystem
on it, too. For the NetBSD native file systems, this usually means
newfs. For HFS, you'll need to use tools from sysutils/hfsutils
(hformat) or equivalent. In short, getting a usable partition is
always a two step process.

Without doing the equivalent of newfs, the partitions are unlikely
to have anything valid on them.

Of course, once you've made the partitions usable, you still need
to get files on them. For HFS, this will probably mean using hcopy
from sysutils/hfsutils or, with a sufficiently advanced -current,
just mounting it read/write. (Is -current this far along? Last time
I looked it was still at the experimental read-only stage.)

>> What's your method of boot the NetBSD installer? I'm guessing CD?
>Yes, I use CD.

Okay, yeah, that makes formatting the HFS partition difficult.

I suspect you'll have to create an image of the bootloader partition
on another machine and, while booted from the CD, use dd to write the
image to the partition. I suspect a custom CD that includes the image
would be easiest to use, but not set up....

>I have a question.
>Do I only have those complicated procedures for PowerPC? Because in the
>x86, I always installed in a simple and fast way, I don't understand the
>such difficulty that I have when doing in my Ibook. The installation
>standard, using the system of partitioning of NetBSD, should not it
>work? I also ask, because when I had installed OpenBSD previously, I
>didn't have any difficulty and even the autoboot, that I made to work
>with too much easiness.

Unfortunately, yes it's complicated right now. For the older macppc
machines (OF 1 and OF 2) NetBSD didn't need to do anything special
and a standard NetBSD disklabel "just worked." OF 3, on the other
hand, while more powerful, is also very different in terms of booting,
and writing new install tools is still waiting for someone to tackle
it.