Re: Installing 5.0.2 on a PowerBook G4

Michael wrote:

> ofwboot understands ffs since ~forever ( as in, at least since 1.6 ).
> It uses OF calls to read blocks from the disk but that's about it.

After a short glance over the source it seems that it will only find a
disklabel in MBR partitions (quite useless) or without any partitions, at
the beginning of the device.

So there is just the code missing which builds a disklabel from the Apple
partition map (can be taken from macppc/disksubr.c).

> You have to point it at the right partition number which may be
> confusing and annoying since OF's numbering may or may not agree with
> anything else.

I gave up to find it out. :)

> It would be nice if it could find the first ffs partition
> automagically if none is given.

Indeed. I will look into it, when I find some time during the next days.

Maybe it even makes sense to have a common ofwboot for ofppc and macppc, but
I'm not sure how different the two have grown.

> Some *Books can switch CPU or bus speeds and on those OF will start up
> at low speed. On the iBook G4 there is a gpio to switch it to full
> speed ( see sysctl machdep.cpu_speed ) but I have no idea if your
> PowerBook uses the same mechanism.

No, such a sysctl-entry doesn't exist here. It's a 7447A.
Hmm... the dmesg shows:

cpu0: HID0 8450c0bc<EMCP,EICE,NAP,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,FBIOB,ABE,BHT>,
powersave: 1

So powersave is on. There must be a way to switch it off. I will
investigate.

> I'd need an ofctl -p dump to check.

Sent by private mail.

> [..wrong keyboard layout..]
> Yes, the german keymap should live somewhere in sys/dev/usb - nothing
> keeps you from making one for the PowerBook.

Ok, I could patch the current one, but is there a clean solution, e.g. to
use a specific keymap when an USB keyboard of some type/manufacturer is
detected?

> [..cbb is dead..]
> should just work. Does it attach completely?
> As in, do cardslot, cardbus and pcmcia attach?

cbb0 at pci1 dev 19 function 0: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PCI-CardBus Bridge
(rev. 0x00)
[...]
cbb0: cacheline 0x8 lattimer 0x10
cbb0: bhlc 0x21008
cbb0: interrupting at irq 53
cardslot0 at cbb0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1
pcmcia0 at cardslot0

> And, did you try -current?

Yes. Same effect.

>> 9. Controlling the display brightness and the keyboard illumination
>> would
>> be great. But I guess there is no documentation available?
>
> What kind of graphics chip do you have?

genfb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Radeon Mobility 9600/9700
(M10/11) NP
genfb0: framebuffer at 0xb8008000, size 1280x854, depth 8, stride 1280

> I just added generic backlight
> control support via OF calls and radeonfb supported it for a while.

Great! :)
Hm. For a while?

> Since you have a USB keyboard I have no clue where events from the
> brightness / volume control buttons end up,

Currently my kernel has FORCE_FUNCTION_KEYS defined, which translates the
hot keys back into normal function keys.

> if they send PMF events
> they should Just Work(tm) in -current.

Sounds interesting. I will look into that later.

>> I still have to test if X11 works...
>
> Depends entirely on the graphics chip. If it's a radeon it probably
> will,

It is a Radeon, but it won't.
I just typed "startx" without any config file. It failed because of that:

Fatal server error:
can't switch keyboard to raw mode. Enable support for it in the kernel

--
Frank Wille