Re: machfb still broken for first gen iMacs

The first two are for reference and show a genfb kernel. This is a first generation iMac with a VGA connection to a regular monitor.

What about the built-in monitor?

There is none. This iMac doesn't support more than one monitor. The motherboard was saved from a junked iMac.

Does the iMac lock up here or does it continue booting with an unreadable console?

It seems to continue because I see small groups of pixels change for the next minute or so, but I wasn't able to access it via the network. For a little while other small screen changes happened when I hit keys, but a reboot command didn't (reboot).

Since this seems to be drawing engine related I'm afraid it's a lockup though, and since you see the 'initial resolution...' line we made it past engine initialization and mode setup.
Please do this:
- - comment out the mach64_clearscreen() call in mach64_attach() so output doesn't get lost - - sprinkle printf()s to find out where exactly the messup happens, normal console output should work right up to wsdisplay_cnattach()
- - set options_MACHFB_DEBUG in your kernel config for extra loudness
This should give us an idea where the messup happens. As I said before, I have a beige G3 with onboard Rage II and a Sun PGX ( which is another Rage II on a PCI card ) - both work fine. Finally, you could try to if (0) the ri->ri_ops.putchar = ... line in mach64_init_screen() so we fall back to software character drawing. If that helps at least I know where to look.

I'll try those when I'm on that machine again. Thanks!

John