Re: Installing and booting and OF3 machine from a single empty internaldisk, not working

I wrote:

> (it looks OF could be confused if MSDOSFS has some certain parameters)

After several tests, it looks OF3 on my G4 AGP doesn't like FAT16
but it can load ofwboot.xcf properly from FAT12.
On the other hand, it looks OF2 on my Apus2000 doesn't like FAT12
but it can load ofwboot.xcf properly from FAT16.

Oh well.

> > then
> > install with the install kernel, and then boot the machine as you have
> > done.
>
> It would be trivial to make sysinst prepare such MSDOSFS
> with fdisk partition. (I did it for NetBSD/arc)

I've created a test install CD ISO image based on netbsd-5-0 branch:
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/iso/macppccd-5.0.1_PATCH-OF3test.iso.gz
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/iso/macppc-OF3test-20091125.diff

Note:
- this is not well-tested and could coruppt your disks
  (i.e. use it at your own risk)
- this won't work on OF2 machines
  (no version check and no usr/mdec/ofwboot due to ramdisk overflow)
- not sure what happens if your disk has HFS with Apple partition map

- see NetBSD guide for general sysinst info
  http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/guide/en/chap-exinst.html
- on MBR partitions menu, select "b: Use the entire disk"
- on Disklabel partitions menu, select
  "a: Set sizes of NetBSD partitions"
  and change partition or swap size if necessary
- MSDOSFS boot partition is prepared automatically, but
  don't change it in the disklabel editor
- to boot from disk, command like "boot ultra0:,ofwboot.xcf" should work
  (check "devalias" on OF and use an appropriate device for your disk)

Please let me know how it goes on you OF3 machines.
---
Izumi Tsutsui