Re: diskless NetBSD/macppc 5.0

In my notes, I wrote

   It is not clear to me how the INSTALL file's short incantation

   boot enet:,ofwboot.xcf

   is supposed to inform ofwboot.xcf where to find the kernel, or what
   kernel to find, so I don't think that the short incantation can work,
   unless it requires some other magic that was not documented.

After a little bit of testing with debugging enabled in ofwboot.xcf,
and inspired by the observation that `enet:/netbsd' works but
`enet:0,/netbsd' and `enet:0/netbsd' don't, the culprit appears to be
prom2boot in boot.c, which appends an extraneous `:0' to the device
name in OpenFirmware 3; removing it makes `boot enet:,ofwboot.xcf'
work.  Perhaps this was necessary for block devices, but incorrect for
network devices, which would explain the `#if 0' section in ofdev.c's
devopen that appends `:0' if the device type is `block'.

Does this sound plausible?  I know next to nothing about OpenFirmware,
but I have tested this change and it works for me, although I haven't
tested booting from the internal disk to confirm whether the `:0' is
necessary for that.