install update - making progress, stuck at HFS

Greetings, list,

I used an OS X CD to create a 1 MB HFS part, and left the rest for NetBSD.
Got into OF, booted from 5.0 CD, and started installation.  This went fine, so
I dropped to a shell to use Håvard's suggestions for setting up that HFS part.
 I managed to mount /dev/wd0a on /mnt, chroot to /mnt, get the hfsutils
installed (after manually configuring networking), but there I get stuck.  I
cannot hformat /dev/wd0d.  I only get:

/usr/pkg/bin/hformat: /dev/wd0d: error opening medium (Device not configured)

I tried wd0e and f too just in case, but same message.  How do I configure
this device so I can get the boot files copied over there?

Thanks,
Tim
--
Tim Larson