RE: first timer, and libfreevec

> libfreevec does not .. per se... solve any problems .... it is a
> library for the Linux PowerPC world (soon to be others as well.....)
> that greatly speed things up, as it uses the AltiVec engine in the G4/
> G5 cpu's ....
> does work like a charm on my Debian Lenny box..... (besides ... Yellow
> Dog Linux claims a 25% speed increase through the use of libfreevec
> ...)

I was looking around for comparisons of various libc implementations, but
didn't find any.  Wikipedia doesn't even have an article on BSD libc, though it
does for several others.  Perhaps our libc already has all the optimizations
that freevec gives??  Though it is OSS, it's LGPL, so I don't think it could be
pulled in directly.

I read that the freevec folks want to expand to support other vector
implementations.  But I have no idea how applicable the library is to other
operating systems.

Tim