Re: Booting a G3 iBook

List
  I ran into the same issue with NetBSD 5 RC 3. I tried in vain to figure
out how to make my own bootable USB stick or ISO . Does anyone have any
idea where how to install NetBSD 5 on a PowerMac G5 ?

Here is what I did.

1. I took a 2G USB stick and using OSX put a apple partition map on it.
making a 250M partition for NetBSD and leaving the rest for "Storage"

2. I formatted the new partition wiht HFS Extended in osx

3. Using the iso from ftp.netbsd.org for macppc I coppied the ofwboot.xcf
and the netbsd_install kernel onto the new HFS partition

4. I gunziped the kernel to be safe

5. I coppied the rest of the installer data from the iso to the usb stick

6. I installed the usb stick on my G5 tower and powered on the g5 and went
into OpenBoot / Openfirmware

7. From ob I created the devalias for ud using the method here
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384&lsrc=osxh

8. I cant boot using boot ud:3,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd_install or
ud:3,\netbsd_install  OB just returns to the ok prompt when I try this.

Next I repeted this using a cdrom and a modified iso where I put the
ofwboot.xcf and kernel in / on the iso. Same results

> >>from the releng server area, and those are not as fully-populated
> >
> > build.sh lacks the magic incantations for creating a bootable cd image,
> > see
> > e.g. macppc/29655, macppc/37389, macppc/40398.

> > That's something.  :)
> >
> >    hauke
> >
> > --
> > "It's never straight up and down"     (DEVO)

List

--
Mark Saad
Managed UNIX Support

This message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this
message.  See http://www.datapipe.com/emaildisclaimer.aspx for further
information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic
communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply
message and we will send the contents to you.