Re: Booting a G3 iBook

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:16:50 -0400
Allen Briggs <briggs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:06:24AM -0500, T. M. Pederson wrote:
> > I'm mystified as to how cd0 works when there's no cd0....
>
> I presume that the firmware uses '0' as a unit number.

I don't think so. On sparc(|64) any unit numbers must be
explicitly set in the devalias (e.g., I've got disk0 - disk7
defined in my workstation's devalias). I'm under the impression
that Apple's OF works the same way for that aspect.

> > Anyway. Another thing is, is this a multi-cd? Or a macppc
> > only cd? IIRC, the multi-cd's won't work with the first form
> > of the boot command, requiring something like:
> > boot cd:\OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MAC (possibly with the ;1
> > appended to each part).
>
> It's a macppccd.iso from the isos directory.

Huh. I'd expect the obvious form to work then.
boot (devalias entry):,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc

It's starting to sound like ofwboot.xcf is mangled....

Or maybe the PRAMs have something odd? Have you done the
full cycle of flushing the PRAMs?